Day 134- 12 June 2010

This Saturday I when to my first ever All Blacks rugby game, and it was, as the kiwis say, O for awesome. Myself, my friend Amanda, two guys from the eastern US and a girl from Holland drove all the way to New Plymouth and although it took 5 hours, it was such a fun ride that it didn’t seem long at all. Because we got to New Plymouth a couple hours before the game was supposed to start, we decided to get some snacks and chill by the beach. We found this amazing spot where giant waves were crashing on the rocks in front of us, just as the sun was setting. We didn’t end up ‘chilling’ much, instead, we scrambled around on the rocks and I ended up climbing up too high on a muddy slope and had to slide down the mud on my butt to get down. Just as we were about to trek back up to the car, it began to rain SO HARD. Even though we sprinted all the way up that slope, we were still soaked by the time we got back to the car so we made a stop at McDonalds on our way to the game and huddled under the hand dryers in a feeble attempt to dry off before standing outside for 3 hours. When we finally made it to the game, I was surprised at how many Ireland fans there were, including one of the guys we drove down with who we threatened to tie to the top of the car if Ireland won. I learned many things at this game, first being that although the Haka is always awesome and intimidating, when an entire team of rugby players do it, its spine tingling. Also, by using Amanda’s telephoto camera to see most of the game I have concluded that rugby players are indestructible, way more hard core than any American football player, and that numbers 18, 15 and 8 on the All Blacks are really good looking. After the game we tried to get some food but every fast food place was packed with rugby fans. We ended up at burger king, waiting in a line that went out the door, listening to drunken Ireland fans argue, and trying to figure out if they sold milkshakes or not. The ride home was much more relaxed, I spent most of it looking out the window at the milky way until we got back to Auckland at 4am. good day.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: